We asked a number of our customers how they reduce mistakes and they told us:
1. Don’t be stingy with supervisors on overtime. If we are busy, all the hours they work is the best supervision over the rank and file.
2. Work the owner 7 days per work.
3. Allocate more time to reviewing rental contracts at the detail level to determine what planning can be done in advance.
4. Carving out the time for the tent leads to look at their larger contracts further in advance so they can provide input on number of men required, breaking out load plans in advance, and special tools and equipment needed.
5. Advance planning. We schedule our deliveries more than a week in advance with the work and labor load figured in. We have two operations specialists who coordinate with sales staff to plan the schedule.
6. Rent extra trucks to double our fleet and allow one set of trucks being loaded each day with a second set making deliveries each day. Trucks are ready to roll first thing every morning regardless of the time crews return from the previous day’s work.
7. Have only one person per truck being loaded to double-check all items and quantities when they go on the truck. Properly specified orders with expectations managed in advance. This is a responsibility of the sales department.
8. Project managers (salesmen) mark tent sites prior to install. All stake, pole and leg positions get marked with spray paint dots. Project managers will also advise clients of install and removal scheduling.
9. Have well-trained foreman and installers. This is a year-round practice that pays off huge when busiest.
10. Communication, communication, communication eliminates mistakes, assumptions, and unreasonable expectations.
11. Double-checks on loading of trucks.
12. Re-emphasize the need for the crew leaders to do their job.
13. Give a task and follow up – don’t assume it was done or done right.
14. Bonuses to all who did not make a mistake or cause a mistake during a period of time.
Would you be willing to tell us about what ways you find efficiencies in your business? You can post them below.
Q: Why would we offer so many free ideas on our website?
A: Yes we sell machines and certainly look forward to doing business with you some day. However it is our hope that by sharing our free ideas of implementing systems in your business that you can start to experiences the great reward of doing so. Once you get the taste of this success, you may be ready to implement systems we have developed that include machines to “mechanize the manual “. After all you do manage a very people intensive business. And usually people struggle to produce predictable results and consistent cost. Predictable results and consistent cost are the lifeblood to a healthy business.